Wednesday, March 17, 2010

It Takes Two to....

Tango
Vogue Germany April 2010
Ph: Karl Lagerfeld
Styling: Christiane Arp
Other models: Baptiste Giabiconi



I think this is one of the better things that Karl has shot featuring Freja. Maybe it's because there's a story motivating the photography, even though that story is probably trite and overwrought. But in this case I don't mind because I really enjoy seeing the chemistry between Freja and Baptiste.



They are really throwing themselves into the story, to the point where I actually believe there's some sort of relationship between the two of them. I'm sure in real life they're comfortable working with each other by now, after countless shoots together with Karl, and it really shows. There's an ease and relaxation in these images that can only stem from familiarity, and this is what makes the editorial so enjoyable to me.



I can already hear some people complaining that this is the same old thing from Karl and that it's boring and predictable, but I actually don't agree with this for once. I really wasn't expecting the dynamic movement and intimacy of the images. And even though the Tango story set in a cafe has been done before, this one still manages to be alluring, sexy and eye catching. I was looking at each and every image in order to catch all the details. And Freja plays this unexpected role quite well. I'm thrilled that she's gone from playing the sexless androgynous model to the sexy femme fatale in yet another show of her severely underrated versatility.



I feel like we're seeing a completely different model nowadays, and while I might still miss the Freja of yore, I'm starting to really admire this new one who is constantly surprising me with her maturity, intelligence and dexterity. It finally feels like Freja is completely at ease with her job as a model and that she's gained complete control of her body as a creative instrument.



You know, there is going to come a month where she won't have editorials in multiple magazines and I just don't know what I'm going to do when that happens. Sure, my wallet will be happy and I'll get a break from feeling like I have to say something pertinent, but I'll still be sad nonetheless. These past few months have been a complete joy in that I feel like we've seen Freja grow and transform once again before our eyes; like a second introduction five years into her career. And to be honest, I think we all needed that...at least, I know that I needed that.

Image Credits: scans by the wonderful helligirl @ tFS

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have made this my favorite blog. I never go a day without passing by. I love freja, is good to her femininity show so wonderfully. She's amazing. She's a very popular model I'm sure that someone in her agency MUST be aware of this blog and the things you write and people comment on, so who knows IMG might have noticed how much we wanted to see freja in a new light and that might have played a role in her change of image. Just something to think about. Love your blog

Rrose Sélavy said...

^Thanks so much for your comment. But I think you overestimate the reach of this blog...lol. :) I really think that only the Freja fans know about it. It's pretty small. It would be nice if IMG did know about it but I highly doubt it. Anyway, thanks again for your lovely comment!

Miranda said...

All I can say is that Baptiste and Freja, though appearing together often, look lovely. And I agree with you--I like the way Karl shot this ed.

But is the ed naturally this blurry?

Anonymous said...

Dont underestimate the potential of your blog. I mean the main focus is one extraordinary model, in comparison to other blogs who focus on the whole industry. However, your writing is years ahead in sophistication when you compare it to other fashion blogs where I feel like I'm revising and editing what they write. (Not that my writing is any good but you get what I mean) and I think someone must have taken notice in IMG. You've said it yourself, Freja is one of their money making girls, they must want to be informed about her I'm sure one of those agents goes to the fashion spot to read peoples reactions ,she is the most visited model there, and all it takes is to cruse by to find someone crediting you for a picture and there you have it someone in IMG or anyone for that matter finds their way to your blog. I say this because thats exactly how i found this oasis of Freja beauty and admiration. Your writing makes me want to read more. Give yourself some credit, you're GOOD

Laurianne said...

Yeah your blog and you have potential!! Keep it alive ;)

About that ed, do we know who is the second female model? She looks so much like Mia Maestro...

Rrose Sélavy said...

@Miranda: Yeah, I think it's supposed to be blurry. Helligirl @ tFS always does amazing scans, so if the images are blurry, it's because they're meant to be.

@anonymous: Once again, thanks for your comment and your confidence in this blog and my writing ability. You're making me blush, but giving me waaay too much credit. The credit should go to Freja and her amazing, long career. Anyone could have created and maintained this blog....I just happened to start it first because I was so inspired by her. And maybe someone from IMG has seen this, but I bet to them it's just another fan blog and they have more important thing to give their attention to than some random blog. Thanks again though! It's really nice to know that someone feels the way that you do. :)

Anonymous said...

If this blog was a drug, I would be a drug addict. I cannot go more than three and a half days without visiting this blog and reading what you have to say about the wonderful Freja's latest show or editorial. You can write very, very well and that is very, very rare.

Amber said...

This is so gorgeous. Love the passion and intimacy it's beautiful, and I love the maturity in her relationship with Baptiste. They compliment each other.

Amber said...

Oh and I forgot to say that I know that it's been said countless times...but Freja really does have a gorgeous profile! It's unique and surprising all at once. I love how sharp and pointed her nose is, you wouldn't expect that from looking at her straight on. I have another thought, but it's late and my bed is calling.