Sunday, July 25, 2010

Range and Power

Not much to say about this that hasn't already been said better and more effectively by someone else. And with all the work that's been coming out at such a rapid pace, I'm pretty worded out anyway. I know right? Can you believe it? Besides, we all know you're here for the pictures and not for the words I write. And I should probably be more cognizant of that, instead of taking advantage of it, so this will be (relatively) short.

Winter Before Winter
Vogue Paris August 2010
Ph: David Sims
Styling: Carine Roitfeld
Other Models (not pictured): Aline Weber, Crystal Renn, Daria Werbowy, Frida Gustavsson, Iselin Steiro, Isabeli Fontana, Monika Jagaciak, Joan Smalls




Versatility, variety, variation, volatile, etc.... Freja demonstrates the qualities that make her one of the top models working today. Effortless and organic, this editorial has it all. So many of the shots are capable of standing on their own, each telling a story and sending a powerful message. All leaving an indelible impression on my mind at least. Whether it's humor, rage, or power, there's an extremely emotional aspect to all of the shots. And with such a range it's hard to be bored or disappointed.




All of the other models featured in this are superb as well. I love this mega designer showcase editorial so much more than last year's one photographed by Inez and Vinoodh. Each model here brings a unique dimension and perspective to the different vignettes. And these vignettes break up any potential monotony that might arise from shooting head-to-toe designers looks. Check out Aline, Crystal, Daria, Frida, Iselin, Isabeli, Jac and Joan if you haven't already. Definitely a must buy issue.




Freja's had so much work recently, but what I'm most impressed with is that this work has stretched her abilities and displayed her adaptability and ease in front of the camera. And this particular editorial is like a summation of her range and skills in one short story. From tough androgyny, to glamorous femininity, and everything (and every role) in between, she's shown us that models only get better when they're allowed to expand beyond their stereotypes.

Image Credits: Scans by tFS member Carla-A

3 comments:

Bea said...

Oh my goodness, these are particularly stunning photos of her. I MUST pick up a copy soon.

Unknown said...

Hi Prose. Do you think somewhere in this blog a list of the albums that you post in your "Listening to" section. I really liked the sound of one band that you posted once, I believe they were Australian and their name was something like Mojo voodoo or something. I can't quite remember and I've looked it up online many times but they never seem to come up.

I know they also had a MySpace which is where I listened to some of their songs. I would really appreciate it if you told me their name.

Rrose Sélavy said...

^Mojo Juju & the Snake Oil Merchants :) Enjoy!