Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Random Bits: The Start of SS11 Edition

Fashion week hasn't even officially started and I'm already overwhelmed. :/ Anyway, Freja's week is definitely starting off right!



-She's nabbed the cover of the latest issue of The Last Magazine, along with Anja Rubik. Photographed by Maciek Kobielski, Freja is sporting the ever so chic "deer in headlights" look. Not her best cover, but in a year filled with so many, does it really matter at this point? Just in case you're counting, this marks Freja's 12th cover appearance for 2010, and we still have 4 months to go before the year's end. Yikes! As a fan, I'm definitely thrilled when my favorite model is having a banner year. But I can understand if non-fans are getting tired of this....even I'm getting tired of this just a bit. Maybe Freja's image/persona/aura/whatever you want to call it is getting overexposed. At this point she's completely saturated all corners of the fashion market and I totally get how that can be overkill. But hey, if it had to happen to one model, at least it's happening to one of the most deserving, humble, approachable and relatable ones.

-While 2010 has been Freja's year in terms of magazine covers, style.com seems to think that the past 10 years have been Freja's years in terms of modeling. She's one of their top ten models of the decade alongside Giselle, Stella, Agyness, Daria, Chanel, Miranda, Lara, Natalia and Kate. Congrats Freja! It's well deserved, for I can't think of another model who has been able to take such a no-compromising, yet (ironically) laid-back attitude and still achieve such heights of success. 16 tattoos...check. Disregard for hair length restrictions...check. Unwavering dedication to a wardrobe of all black...check. Moving to NY 4 years into your career instead of at the beginning of it...check. Stubborn refusal to discuss personal life in depth...check. Reluctance to show up at major fashion events and galas aside from fashion week...check. Legions of fans both within and outside of the industry who are drawn to all these one of a kind traits...check!

But one thing has to be said: Where's Raquel!? Glaring omission if you ask me. In the words of a very wise person, "Big mistake. Big. Huge....I have to go shopping now."

-Not everything is coming up roses this week. Here's some sad news to keep us in check. Karl Lagerfeld has canceled his Paris show, so that means one less runway appearance for Freja and your other favs.

"Karl Lagerfeld will not show his signature collection during Paris Fashion Week and is instead readying a new “masstige” ready-to-wear collection to be sold online.

Lagerfeld had been scheduled to show here on Oct. 3.

His signature collection, produced and distributed by Italian manufacturer Vaprio Stile since 2008, will now take a more commercial tack, with less involvement from Lagerfeld, according to a spokeswoman for Lagerfeld. It will be sold in showrooms in Milan and Paris."

Poor Karl....you could always sense that his eponymous line was the closest to his heart and his design sensibilities. At least he has plenty to keep him busy with Chanel, Fendi and now Hogan.

Anyway, the week has already started with a bang, and hopefully there will be plenty more to come. So stay tuned.....

Image Credits: models.com

9 comments:

kim said...

WOW I am soo surprised the Freja is named one of the Top 10 Models of the decade. I mean, of course I am happy, but wow... I almost want to say undeserving. She really has not been super popular and influential until these couple of years. Daria, Kate, Gisele, and Natalia are of course part of the list. Chanel Iman and Freja, are both great models, but just... not there yet, I would say. Raquel and Gemma should have made the list, although Gemma hasn't been in the circle for a while. Trish Goff and Erin Wasson would be good candidates too.
I am starting to worry that Freja is gonna become too well known and later become too commercial.

Also, thinking that Freja is not even 23 yet and she already has such a successful career makes me think that I should do something with my life. haha.

yantomycin said...

I guest, everybody wanna piece of model of the moment. That's why she's everywhere. :)

Well, what can we say, this is her time. And she's taking it with a full throttle. I hope deep down her heart, she's doing it coz she's enjoying tho.

Pi Maniac said...

That the list is inadequate doesnt mean Freja shouldnt be included :). The list is about the UNFORGETTABLE, the remarkable, the faces that bring change, bring fresh air to the industry in the decade, not necessarily throughout the decade. In this case, Freja is an ideal person for it.

So 12 already ? Im happy but... kinda worried at the same time. Is 2010 going to repeat itself ? :)

Siru said...

She's been working hard for YEARS - She's well deserved to being on the list!

juliet xxx

Gill Ford said...

I have to say, I completely disagree with Chanel Iman's inclusion on the list. Freja's is more justified than hers simply because she covered for bigger magazines... Iman? Has she even gotten a Vogue cover yet? Or is she still feeding off the scraps Anna Wintour tosses under the table?

Honestly, cut Iman for Raquel, no question. And I'm sorry to say I would include other models (like maybe Sasha) over Freja...

I guess I agree to some extent with yantomycin: this seems to be another capitalization on the wealth of exposure Freja's had recently. At least we know that American Vogue actually knows who she is now...

Pi Maniac said...

"At least we know that American Vogue actually knows who she is now..."

Im sorry, what ? Anna works closely with Karl, OF COURSE she knows who Karl's girl is. It's just that Freja doesn't suit US Vogue's image well.

Rrose Sélavy said...

The list is debatable for sure. That's the problem (and beauty) with lists. I do think Freja deserves the recognition, but as for her actual inclusion in the top 10 of the decade....I'm not so sure. Depends on what quality the list makers decided were paramount when they were coming up with their decisions. It's all relative. Tons of hard working models were left off including Sasha, MCB, Du, Liya, Gemma, Sasha, Stam, etc...

Rregarding US Vogue: style.com is now a separate entity apart from US Vogue, so the Anna issue is a moot point. No need to get yourself in a fuss over it. :)

Gill Ford said...

^No kidding? I wasn't aware of that; my mistake. And please excuse me if I sounded venomous, I'm a little disillusioned with US Vogue lately...

@ Float ho: I am not ignorant of the fact, I was just venting exasperation with the lack of work Freja gets across the pond :(

Rrose Sélavy said...

^No worries! I was talking more to Float Ho, but oh well. :) I didn't think you sounded venomous and I can totally sympathize with your feelings re: Freja and Vogue US.